basic academic studies
Academic Year Commencement
4 years BAS
The goal of the study program BAS Environmental Protection is the education of highly qualified specialists in the field of environmental protection who are academically and professionally competent to work in this area, i.e. to work in companies dealing with environmental conservation, improvement and protection, with educational institutions, industries, as well as other scientific-research organizations and institutions operating in the area of environmental protection and ecology.
Study program Environmental Protection is designed to enable the education of highly qualified specialists in the field of Environmental Protection
The purpose of this study program is to reflect changes in the field of environmental protection, ecology and other scientific disciplines studied within this program and to be based on the practice of eminent higher education institutions in the European Union. The purpose of the study program is to enable students to continue their education and to monitor scientific achievements in the field of environmental protection, ecology, and related disciplines.
Empirical research and current events show that environmental protection and ecology, as strategically important areas, are experiencing intensive and progressive growth which evidently increases the need of employers to engage staff in these jobs. The purpose of the study program is not only to respond to current trends in the labor market, but also to contribute to the overall improvement of the preservation and protection of the environment, as a prerequisite for normal and quality life. The purpose of the study program is to educate students to perform specific jobs in this profession and possible occupations such as:
- environmental economics analyst,
- environmental analyst,
- air quality analyst,
- water quality analyst,
- environmental protection inspector,
- environmental protection advisor,
- environmental protection expert,
- environmental preservation specialist,
- work in primary and secondary schools on the education of students in subjects in the field of environmental protection,
- jobs in state bodies and local self-governments in the field of environmental protection, as well as all other jobs in economic entities, public institutions and scientific-research organizations dealing with current state analysis, management, preservation, improvement and protection of the environment;
The goal of this study program is to enable students to perform tasks related to the analysis of the current state, the management of protection, preservation and permanent improvement of environment and ecology with a special focus on the sustainable use of biological and natural resources as well as on the improvement of environmental quality. The aim of this study program is to develop students’ intellectual abilities to identify existing circumstances, manage protection and incorporate environmental research into research and development projects in order to provide efficient and effective solutions in preserving natural ecosystems and sustainable exploitation of natural resources. The goal is to develop scientific profiles that are capable of acting in interdisciplinary programs of environmental protection and ecology, preservation and improvement of the environment and sustainable development.
- mastering the theoretical aspects of ecology, characteristics of populations and types of ecosystems;
- acquiring conceptual bases in the field of ecology of flora and fauna;
- mastering and appropriate application of specific theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of pollution and protection of soil, source and type of pollutants, the effects of pollutants on soil, living organisms and the environment;
- training students for analysis and assessment of air quality and protection of ambient air from pollution;
- acquiring theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of aquatic ecology and monitoring, the principles of water pollution, as well as methods for wastewater treatment;
- acquiring theoretical and practical knowledge on the methods of monitoring the state of the environment and assessing the degree of pollution as well as standardizing the quality of the environment;
- formulation and implementation of strategies for environmental protection and sustainable development at the local and regional level and in protected areas;
- application of the concept of ecological, economic and energy sustainability;
- acquiring basic knowledge about the characteristics and sources of hazards that cause environmental degradation, which are also implemented in environmental risk, as well as quantitative and qualitative assessment of ecological risk.
Compulsory and optional courses: The study program is structured so that the standards regarding the number of compulsory and optional courses are met alongside with the conditional proportion between academic – educational, theoretical – methodological, scientific – professional and professional – applied courses, which enable the realization of the study program goals and the outcome of the learning process. The acquisition of necessary theoretical knowledge is provided through compulsory courses, whereas optional courses allow students to acquire the contents that correspond more closely to the interests and abilities of each student individually. In the second, third and fourth year of the study, students choose two out of the three offered optional courses.
Studies are performed in combination, i.e., through theoretical and practical classes, consultations, examinations, internship, mentoring and independent work of students. The anticipated duration of the study is four years (eight semesters) with 240 ECTS credits. The final paper carries 10 ECTS credits, which are included in the total number of ECTS credits earned.
Registering individual courses or groups of courses is not conditioned by previously passed exams in one or more courses determined by the study program.
Note: The study program does not allow for courses from other study programs to be chosen due to different educational – scientific fields.
- development of analytical and synthetic way of thinking, as well as a logical approach in predicting solutions to practical problems and their consequences;
- mastering deductive and inductive research methods, procedures and processes;
- development and application of critical and self-critical thinking in work and solving practical problems;
- application of acquired knowledge and skills in practice, the possibility of independent and team work;
- development of communication skills and abilities, as well as cooperation with the social and international surrounding in order to acquire new knowledge and experiences that should contribute to further professionalism, professional development;
- understanding the importance of professional ethics and adherence to it, adhering to academic and professional codes of responsible behavior in the community
- thorough knowledge and understanding of the concept and principles of environmental protection and their practical application in practice;
- solving specific problems using scientific methods and procedures;
- connecting theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of environmental protection, ecology and related scientific disciplines and their integrated application;
- permanent monitoring of innovations in the field of environmental protection and application of innovations in the profession;
- development of professional skills and abilities in the use of acquired knowledge in practice;
- use of information and communication technologies in mastering knowledge in the field of environmental protection;
Candidates who have completed four years of high school and passed the entrance exam are eligible to enroll in the first year of basic academic studies.
To access Call for Enrollment click HERE.
The decision on the tuition fees and service pricelist for academic year 2020/2021